Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Not So Fast

I recently swapped out my vintage cell phone (one that only rang with no texting and didn’t take any pictures at all) for an iPhone.  I made the upgrade for two reasons: 1) to keep in touch with my college freshman who wants to text and 2) to take pictures on the go.

I waded in slowly, texting a few friends and taking pictures from a new perspective.  And I like my iPhone 6.
I think.

I joined Instagram, which is kind of a hoot, because if you know me at all, you know that I hate to rush or hurry.  I want to take my time.  And there are things about Instagram that I like.
I think.

But the iPhone and its side car of apps is no bed of roses.  My Inbox overflows with offers for courses like Digital Detox and Social Media Sanity, for good reason. Our local news featured a story just last night citing a study where kids say parents spend too much time on cell phones. Apparently, the kids feel like they have to compete with the cell phone for Mom’s attention.

With every ding, beep, whistle and yoo-hoo that my phone makes, I feel myself being drawn into a sense of immediacy, a need to check, that is not founded in reality.


I’m not so sure that I like the iPhone and social media after all.

I am sure I like the camera part of the iPhone.
All of the photos in today's post were taken with my iPhone camera.

I know myself, and being all-or-none by nature, is not helping in this matter. I want my actions to match my values. And if I say I value relationships and then spend my time with a device, am I really living the life I want to live?  Or am I just fooling myself?


I know there are many of you who live consciously with balance and wisdom.  You handle your phone and your social media without skipping a beat. And, wow, I admire you. But sometimes, I need to put constraints in place to protect myself. And this is one of those times.

My cell phone goes in the back seat of my car while traveling, so I can’t talk on the phone while driving. I only talk or text when I am parked.

I turn the phone ringer off when meeting with friends and whenever possible, I leave it in the car. I won't ditch a friend for a phone call.


I deactivated my Instagram account because I couldn’t think of a really good reason to keep it – and more than a few why I shouldn’t. I’m doing a little research on VSCO Grid and think it might suit me better.

For now, this blog is the best place for me to share my pictures and stories and connect with each of you.


I hope you will continue to stop by and visit . . . linger if you will.