Tuesday, July 14, 2015

It Means Something

Wide Open, Day 9, the prompt is YOU with the assignment to photograph myself.


I only recently got an iPhone and I must confess that I've not taken a single selfie. Honestly, I don't know how people take these pictures so fearlessly. No matter how I hold the camera the picture I see reflected back does not feel like me.

The point of this prompt is to put down shame and accept myself in the moment. But I am not sure that I have the courage to be that vulnerable.

I admit that the version of myself I show in this space is not always the whole picture. I struggle to love the imperfections in myself and my work.


And when the exercise is to photograph the me that I love, I want it to be the me that feels true . . . the one who considers carefully, laughs freely and lives wholeheartedly.

It means something that I found this assignment so difficult . . . that I do not always like what I see in myself.

In the end, I asked the person who knows and loves me best to take my picture.  And when I see myself through his eyes, I am just that much closer to my authentic path. Clearly, I am a work in progress.


10 comments:

  1. Gosh Donna these are beautiful as well as your lovely self.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these images of you Donna , in your element with your camera, thoughtful, fearless and laughing !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these! That last one of you is especially wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such a lovely lady, Donna, and that last image of yourself is stunning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YOU are so adorable and I just can not wait to meet you in person!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what you mean about that dread of seeing photos of yourself--my picture of myself is very different than what I see in photos (when did I get old? I am not that in my mind). These photos of you are great--I love the spirit of the last photo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post and cute pictures. It is interesting how we feel when we see a picture of ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "the picture I see reflected back does not feel like me." I can relate to this for sure, Donna! My husband and I must be the least photogenic people on the planet, lol! I dreaded our wedding photos, but my dear friend {In His Image Photography} did an amazing job. We are ALL a work in progress, my dear! I simply love these photos of you. I can relate too, because when my husband takes my picture, me responding to him, to his affection, there is something different in the result. I can see those in these pictures of you, as well. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Self-portraiture is hard, it is a craft, it is problem solving, most people's selfies are just that, selfies. I view myself as the subject in a still life, moving myself around until I am in the right position, it helps get me out of my head. Don't give up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You go girl. Sarah is right. It can be very hard. We picture ourselves so different from what we look. I take a bazillion shots to get what I want. 'staged' You are braver than I for wearing a dress above your knees. LOL!

    ReplyDelete