Sunday, January 4, 2015

Mid-air

I've been under the weather with a case of the flu that just won't let go. I thought I was feeling better and symptoms began to subside, and then along came round two with more aches and pains and a never-ending cough. Finally . . . today . . . I began to feel my energy return.  On this unseasonably warm day, I headed out  for a walk, camera in hand, son by my side.

He's growing up and away from me. He's smart and funny, creative and curious, kind and compassionate. We walk along in companionable silence. I take two steps to his every one. We venture off the path into Alum Springs Park.

We stop to take pictures along the way - seeing life in moments. I try to see life through his eyes. He is not a lazy photographer; he works for the view. I'm watching him carefully. Jumping down from the edge along the bridge rail . . . I catch him mid-air. And for just a minute, I see the picture clearly. We are somewhere in-between. He is so light with promise and potential, he almost floats . . . feet barely touching the ground. And I stand just a little ways away, wishing I could catch him and hold his hand, just one more time. But, we are mid-air . . . and this feeling is beautifully human.


15 comments:

  1. I am sorry you've been sick but so glad you are feeling better. What a treat to have a son who shares your passion for photography and who loves to get out and walk with you....I can just see you lingering behind capturing precious moments that your heart will hold forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear you've been sick ... but happy to hear you are on the mend and out and about. Your post is so bittersweet ... love the photo of your son.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you're feeling better, Donna! Such a profound emotion, this beauty in mid-air. You express it so perfectly! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. absolutely beautiful post - it gave me a little tear....glad you are feeling better - that is not a fun way to start the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I understand you feelings so well !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading this is like starting a new book that you know you will not put down soon, what a way with words and what a beautiful sentiment of your boy. After all they will always still be our boys even grown up that never leaves even when they are 45 as mine is. Love the story telling aspect in photos, so good. So so sorry the flu has come to you, hope you feel better soon. I see on the news it is a bad one, it hasn't hit our state yet but so afraid it will. Have a good week my friend, and feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh so sorry you been sick. boo hoo! What a wonderful walk with your son. It is wonderful that you can spend time together, even if quiet. It means so much! Wishing you continued healing. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those last few phrases are so touching...just beautiful! Hope you are on the mend because we have things to do!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That stinks that you have been sick. Don't worry they always come back, they like being our kids too much :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My heart felt every word of this. You write from that place.
    Thanks for sharing. And glad you're mending.....be gentle with yourself
    and sip slowly for awhile:)
    -Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  11. so sorry you have been sick...hoping all is on the mend now...happy you were able to get out and share your thoughts and photos with us...always a treat to see a post from you pop up in my feed...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad to hear you are on the mend, these bugs really hang around. I'm with you on sons, mine is now 25 and I sometimes I wish I could go back in time to be holding his hand having long involved conversations as we walk to school. sigh ....

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you are feeling better. I am glad you got out and about with your son. It is amazing how much our relationships change with our children through the years...

    ReplyDelete
  14. He is mid-air . . . and you and I have our feet planted firmly on the ground. But we remember that catching-air feeling he has--we had it too, once. He will always look up to you even though he has to look down. You gave him books and photography and home-cooked meals. He won't forget those, no matter how high he jumps.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope you are feeling better Donna. Isn't it interesting what we learn from our children and how they give us a lot to ponder? What a blessing!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.