Monday, December 22, 2014

The Christmas Lady

Searching for a picture or two that might in some small way reflect the sense of promise and hope that comes with Christmas, I walked along the streets of downtown. From a distance I spotted my favorite Christmas-y house, one I've photographed before. It's not the house with the grandest light display or even the one with Christmas music synchronized to flashing lights, but it's the one with most heart.  Really, every square inch of the front porch is Christmas.

I could see the lady of the house out on her stoop, waving to a neighbor.  I stopped and did the mental dance that I must do to work up my courage to ask for permission to take pictures. I almost turned around and left . . . but I didn't. I approached with a smile that I hoped would put her at ease. I needn't have worried, for the Christmas Lady was sweet and lively.

With great humility, she pointed out each decoration, explaining that her aim was to bring joy to children and old folks. And when I exclaimed I had never seen a home decorated with such over-the-top beauty, she laughed and invited me inside for the full show. Oh my, the house was filled to the brim with Christmas!  In the den, the mister to Christmas Lady was happily enjoying the Sunday football game, and reading the paper, from his recliner in the midst of a Christmas village. And when I oohed and aahed over the trimmings, he grinned and said, "She's not even finished decorating yet!"


I commented that it must be an awful lot of work to keep up such a display. But Christmas Lady just smiled again and said, "Oh, it's not so much work if you just leave most of the decorations up all year!" She continued to lead me through her home, room by room, turning on singing Santas, lights and trains. When we reached the kitchen, she loaded me down with snacks and treats (a candy cane, a piece of Russel Stover candy, a Ho-Ho and a bag of chips).


We made our way back to the front porch. As I thanked her for the visit, she shared her philosophy of life.


"The good Lord wouldn't let me get up each morning if he didn't have something for me to do!"

The Christmas Lady is doing something really nice for the world, every day.

18 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post! You are obviously cut out for "street photography" as people are so receptive to you! Bravo - I'm such a chicken to even try ... I love this story and your wonderful photos! Have a wonderful Christmas, Donna! I look forward to seeing your beautiful images in 2015.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is simply priceless Donna! The story of how you braved on to ask for photos, and I can only image your joy at seeing the inside of the house packed full of Christmas pieces. The Christmas lady has a lot of love to share! Beautiful! May you and your family have a beautiful and blessed Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so so sweet - game me a little tear : ) and I am so proud of you for asking her - look what wonderful experience you gleaned from that one little question. and I am guessing you made her day as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this made me smile. for many reasons…..

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a wonderful and rich encounter Donna... like a Christmas tale... thank you for sharing this warm and heartful story... and reminding us that Christmas is a moment for sharing.
    Enjoy a joyful Christmas with your dearest ones Donna!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I just loved this. What a neat lady and good for you for having the courage to ask to take photos! Merry Christmas friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful story and a wonderful woman. Merry Christmas and thanks for sharing this Christmas story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a heartwarming post! Merry Christmas to you and yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you found a picture or two, Donna! What a lovely post! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh Donna... i love her.... what a beautiful story.... and so wise....
    it really is that simple..... funny...how at times we ca make life so complicated....

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. the essence of the season...captured so well by your photos and the christmas lady's remark...merry christmas to you and your family Donna!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely philosophy for life. And good for you Donna to be so brave :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a great story and your photo's are lovely...we all need the spirit that this woman holds...each day of the year...can you imagine how things could change for the better...
    Thanks Donna... a joy to read.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful post, Donna! Thank you so much for sharing this heartwarming lady' story with us all. :)
    I hope you and yours have the most wonderful Christmas and a very Happy New Year. Thank you for your inspiration. I don't understand why my email to you keep bouncing back at me, but I am glad I can wish you all the best here, at your welcoming and cozy web-home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing the photos and the wonderful story. The Christmas Lady sounds like an amazing woman who is not afraid to let her love of God shine year round.
    Donna Wagner
    aka Extremely Fickle

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful Donna! What a great person to have picked! I'm sure she put you at ease in a heartbeat. Most do! I love her philosophy. Sounds just like something my dad would've said. Thank you for sharing with us!! Here's to MORE "street" photography in 2015!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.