Monday, December 1, 2014

Make Something Monday

I've been searching for a way to keep track of my most successful photographs of the year. I don't label pictures as "good" or "bad." Instead, I consider whether the picture tells a story, evokes deep feelings, or shows my progress in mastering either creative or technical expertise. Pictures relegated to storage on an external hard drive may as well be lost . . . hard to find, seldom viewed, barely noticed. Printing my work is important to me.

I spent a lot of time considering ways to document my work for this year and finally settled on making a softcover book. While nothing surpasses the precision of prints on photo paper, I love the tactile experience of press prints, where images are made by applying ink directly to the paper. For a helpful explanation of the difference between photographic paper prints versus press prints, head on over to the Richard Pro Lab blog.

Creating a folder of my favorite images was the first step. I tried hard not to over think the issue and just went with my gut. I've been very pleased with previous orders from Artifact Uprising . . . recently ordered four 5x7 signature prints.


And so, I returned to Artifact Uprising as a happy customer. I found the interface for building my book easy to use (I watched the video tutorials first). I loved the choices for covers and the various page layouts with options for customization along the way.  I chose not to add any text to my book, preferring to focus on the pictures alone.  I may add a few notes in my own handwriting, since this book is a learning tool for me.


The turnaround time for my softcover book was just as promised (a few days for making and a few days for shipping).  And I must admit, I fell in love with my book. Like my own version of Kinfolk or Bella Grace, softly textured pages with beautiful photos artfully arranged . . . filling my heart with gratitude.





This gift was for me . . .

But I was inspired to make something Monday by Janine Vangool, publisher/editor/designer of Uppercase Magazine

By now, you're probably getting tired by all the post-Thanksgiving, Black Friday through Cyber Monday shopping hoopla. Me, too. I have a suggestion: Let's rebrand this day as "Make Something Monday." 

Solid advice from Janine. 

Today's the day to create a good old-fashioned made-by-hand gift.

Create something that comes from YOU.
 
Stay away from DIY posts and Pinterest!

Make something out of nothing.

Enjoy the process. Making things is a lot of fun!




14 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I would love to pour over each page, every lovely photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your book looks divine! such lovely images to review and remember (I spy one of those fantastic spools!) I made a softcover book after our month long southern trip - just for me, just to remember. I need to print up some photos for presents - I think I'll hop over to Artifact Uprising and check them out - thanks for the tip! and yes, I'll be making something today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, The postcard packs from Artifact Uprising is wonderful in that you can produce 20 postcards with 20 different designs. I sent some, gave some away, use some as bookmarks, and even framed a few. A great gift for an affordable price.

      Delete
  3. Love your photo book, and the image of you looking through it. I now have two of my own work, and made one for a grandson. I appreciate the link to Richard's site for more details on printing, and the tip about Artifact Uprising, which I've seen on IG. Enjoy your book and work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beverly, I wish I could see your book of your photographs! And what a great idea to make one for your grandson - would be a great way to teach beginning reading skills. Thanks for visiting - always a pleasure to share with you!

      Delete
  4. I am sure you could sell your book too, and it would be as lovely as Kinfolk or Bella Grace. What a great project for you to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely ! A wonderful idea to keep and look through and remember sometimes . I love the photos of you looking through the book :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I missed this post and never like to miss a post by you, so glad it was still in my Feedly. Also I have been thinking also this is something I want to do. I just love Artifact Uprishing so much, I have ordered from them before and just received my Christmas Cards yesterday from them. I want to do the same after seeing your book so beautiful here. Honestly it does look like a Kinfolk publication with your images. So special.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your images are certainly bookworthy!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH MY GOSH - I love everything about this - the post, the fact it is a gift to yourself, the BOOK! What a wonderful creation!! I want to create one : ) Thank you for sharing this with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, I'm sure you are already documenting your travels in some way - and of course, your blog does that, too, but really you need to make one of these books for yourself. Your art deserves an audience. I'd carry your book everywhere and show everyone!

      Delete
  9. So much that you've shared here! Thank you! I'll look forward to spending time in Richard's site. I've always loved press prints when I've seen them, but really had no idea how it all happens. I think he's going to educate me! Very familiar with AU...but always good to see what others are doing. A book like this is exactly what I want to do at some point with the still life I plan as I continue photographing of all my treasures! Beautiful post..I always enjoy a blog that I learn something, as well as seeing beautiful images!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a marvelous photo-book, Donna! So glad you gave yourself this special gift. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. P.S. Sorry, would just like to add one more thing! I applaud you for printing your work. I am just beginning to explore the printing part and this is my third year of this amazing passion of ours. Just today I picked up several prints from my last adventure in Myanmar. I'm taking some back with me this time to give to people as many of never seen their own photo before! So fast forward...2015 is going to be the year in this magical ride that I tackle printing! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete