Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Daily Disciplines

I recently listened to a podcast by Todd Henry, author of Die Empty and The Accidental Creative, on The Power of Small Actions. Todd challenged listeners to commit to a daily ritual, a small practice each day, to help ensure success in meeting our responsibilities.

I immediately thought of Kim Klassen and her daily walks with her sweet dog, Ben. Exercise and fresh air is a daily discipline.

And then I thought of my friend Teresa who always ensures that her family sits down at the dinner table for a family meal, even though her nest is mostly empty these days. She makes meal time connection a daily discipline.

I began to consider what daily discipline I might like to implement for this new year that would boost my creative work. As a photographer, I am often blocked by what I call "image overload." There are so many glorious pictures everywhere, it can be hard to find my voice. I find myself stuck in "copy" mode.

I am intrigued by the many people who participate in 365 Photo Projects.  This year, I'd love to take at least one picture every day for play, not perfectly composed or exposed, but one that leads the way, a thoughtful photograph that becomes my mediation - daily. But, I'm not sure about such a big commitment, and so I thought I'd give it a try this week.  Like a trial run.

So far, I'm having fun with diptychs every day.

19 december 2014


20 december 2014


20 december 2014


21 december 2014


22 december 2014


23 december 2014


I don't have a dog, but I think I like walking my camera . . .

14 comments:

  1. I am excited to get to see 365 photos from you next year : ) and I love that you walk your camera!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love each and every one of these! You are so gifted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea Donna! I'm not sure I would be able to fulfill such a commitment for many reasons... but yes, I guess it may be a very positive and inspiring ritual, leading to warm encounters or lovely surprises... this would help certainly to broaden one's horizon, to find different sparks, to enlarge one's vision of photography, to open one's mind to new sources of reflection,
    Your lovely diptychs are speaking to us, questioning us, we would love to know a little more about these shoes hanging from an electric thread in the street, this happy couple wearing santa's clothes, this inspired graffiti...
    Waiting for the first days of 2015 to see your so inspired pictures, I wish you and your family a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photos. I know you could do a 365 if that is what you really want to do. I will be honest it is extremely hard to keep up the motivation day after day, But when you take that last photo on day 365, the sense of accomplishment is HUGE! Whatever you decide to do I will be right here supporting you on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donna, what great captures. So varied. I like the geometric windows, the still life, and the everyday things. What a great practice! Your photography always inspires me. Merry Christmas! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful sweet Donna and I was thinking along the same lines and that was one of my ideas for 2015 brought about reading a e-book called Your To Be List. I want to put this in my life for 2015. I also believe the more time I spend looking at other images and coping without even knowing a lot of times isn't what I want for 2015. I want images to reflect me not someone else's work. So that is what I am going to work on. I love what you have done this week, and just giddy with excitement for the both of us in 2015. Have a wonderful Christmas my new friend in my home state. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A successful trial run, I'd say! Who ever said "discipline" can't be fun! Merry Christmas, Donna - I'm always inspired by my visits here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your post and those diptychs Donna ! I've done a couple of 365's in the past and it does get challenging at times, but the sense of achievement at the end of the year is so worth it ! I'm hoping to do something similar to you as well, as I will be celebrating a milestone birthday at the beginning of Feb and want to document my year :) Merry Christmas !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your diptych photos! I have complete 4 years of 365 and the first page of 2015 is completed. I love not planning, but taking photos of my daily life. Some photos are creative and some photos tell a story. My 17 year old son, told me last week that he will take daily photos when he has a family, he loves walking down memory lane in photos and journaling. I struggle with the writing, but give me a photo and a sentence, pure joy. Best of luck walking with your camera in 2015. Merry Christmas!!
    Donna Wagner
    aka Extremely fickle

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I want to build some routines into my life in the coming year. More routines mean I won't have to think about every little thing I do. That's good sometimes.
    Happy Christmas,
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are great Donna! Love your pairings! I'm really confident any of us can do what we set our mind to! And I'm sure you will if that's what you choose to do! Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the images in your trial run! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Seeing what flows from the camera each day will be more than rewarding, it comes from the heart, don't you believe? Diptychs and triptychs are two of my favorite formats to combine images...seems to tell a story better than words. I love your trial run photos...the colors, the subjects combined. Thank you for your comments this year, they are warm and true! I wish you an exciting 2015, and I look forward to your photography blooming. You inspire me so much!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea Donna! I like what I see so far...I hope you continue.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete