Monday, November 17, 2014

A Timely Gift

'Tis the season for gift-giving, and artful gifts made by hand are always well received. As photographers, sharing our pictures brings the ultimate joy. One of my favorite holiday gifts is a photo calendar.

You can design your own calendar template or take advantage of ready-to-go resources.

Download the free 2015 diy Photo Calendar from Shutter Sisters or purchase templates from Eva Ricci Design over at Etsy.

Making the calendar pages is pretty straightforward - drag and drop your photos into the prescribed space. The tricky part is choosing your favorite images and coordinating the pictures around a theme, tone, color scheme, or particular aesthetic.

Print calendar pages on uncoated white card stock or photo paper and cut to size.  Since I sell my calendars, I have them printed and cut by a local company that gives discounts for larger orders.

Unleash your creativity with ways to package and display your calendar pages. I package my calendars in clear plastic bags, but you could use little brown paper bags, a simple paper wrap or a bulldog clip.The pages are loose-leaf so you can display them in a variety of ways. Prop them on a small easel, post them on your bulletin board or fridge, or clip them with a clothespin anywhere.

Each of my calendars comes with it's own little wooden stand, made from the branch of an oak tree in my heavily wooded yard. My husband helps.  After choosing a branch with a diameter of 3 or 4 inches, we cut the stands using a circular saw.  Then we take turns using a coping saw to cut the slit that will hold the calendar page. Finally, I rub wood sealer onto the cut surfaces of each stand to protect the pages from any wayward sap that might leak over time. I let the stumps cure for a few days by the window sill.




Have fun making your own calendar with your best images.  Or, come shop with me.

My 2015 photo calendars are available from Patchwork Photos for $20, plus shipping.

Order by email donna @ patchworkphotos dot com.  Happy gifting!


10 comments:

  1. What lovely gifts and I love your process for the stands. I have to get working on mine. I do one for our family to go on the dining room wall, and I always make one for my dad that he hangs in his pole barn where he spends a good part of each day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, Don't you love that your pictures bring your family such joy? And not just the photos themselves, that make a beautiful calendar, but the process, too? Taking family trips and picture-taking go hand in hand. Bet your Dad looks forward to turning the page on his calendar every month - and loves that his daughter showed her love by sharing her art. I have to ask - what is a pole barn?

      Delete
  2. I've made wee calendars that fit inside a CD case for the past 5 years, to give as gifts to friends and relatives. I hope (well, I am sure!) your marvelous calendar will sell well, Donna, so many gorgeous images - I {heart} May and August in particular. Your idea of the wooden stand is fab, so very creative! :)
    How did the photo-shoot at your library go? Hope you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia, The library photo shoot was a success. I was nervous - so out of my element. But I had a wonderful time capturing the children dancing and singing along with the Okee Dokee Brothers - a duo of guitar and banjo, songs that encourage children to get outside and enjoy nature. I used my fancy flash and the photos turned out well. The librarians were delighted with the pictures and very grateful - a good boost to my confidence - and a great chance to practice camera kindness.

      Delete
  3. these are really nice and beautiful photos however i bought a calender up in the Smokies for 2015 otherwise i would have gotten one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, So glad you bought a calendar that will remind you all year long of such a beautiful place and the adventure you had there. I'll be looking forward to seeing your next pictures, too!

      Delete
  4. What a neat idea to use one of God's works of art to display your works of art! I used to do those CD holder calendars, too. Gosh what a lot of work! I like the idea of having someone else do all the printing and cutting! Love the images you picked for next year's calendar, Donna! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You didn't tell me you had your own little calendar factory at your house! Is there anything you haven't thought of doing? I'm still slayed by the gorgeous acorns you "cure," the calendars themselves, much less those wonderful oak bases. I have nothing useful in my yard except hickory nuts by the thousands, broken open by squirrels. You revel in fall--it's definitely your season.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how adorable those little wooden stands are Donna! So creative!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Donna, your calendars and stands are really classy! Beautiful photographs and nicely packaged.
    Bravo!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete