Friday, October 17, 2014

In With The Old

An excerpt from the photo essay, Wear and Tear, by David Coggins from Kinfolk Volume 13 ~

All of which is to say, there's a danger that the quest for perfectionism becomes an end unto itself. There's more to the world than acquisition:  The best interiors can't just be bought any more than style can. As I get older, there's one reason I find myself attracted to those whose style is eccentric rather than immaculate. But that can't be achieved in a day. A pair of faux-distressed jeans isn't going to do the trick, so you're going to have to break them in yourself. Yes, you can track down something on eBay, but that's not the same thing, and secretly we all know it. In the end, we all have to make our own way down the long, rewarding path toward hard-earned individuality, with all of its flaws. 

These words resonate with me. There's something undeniably glorious about loving what I really love and sharing that love with others.

I revel in the stories old houses hold.

History-filled, dilapidated, patched-up, weathered,


 Down impassable roads, surrounded by wild grasses and weeds,


embracing charm and soul


imperfect with wear and tear


yet still so beautiful as to take your breath away.

I'm linking up with Kim Klassen and my Friday Finds are these old houses and barns from my Field Notes along the back roads of Virginia.

21 comments:

  1. Weathered beauties! Thanks for sharing, Donna. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true and as a photographer just wonderful that you can bring there stories to life. We may not know the complete story in the houses but the echos speak loud and clear in your images.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In your carefully created images, I can imagine the buildings in their prime, the children playing in the yard, the tractor parked in the barn and maybe even a farmer resting outside. Your photos have given them a new life, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are speaking to my heart here! I have always had a thing for buildings; houses, barns, old sheds, whatever. I can't quite place my friend on what it is, but it is something. Love that second to last photo. I have a thing for white buildings right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful old buildings. My MIL will sometimes say when she sees a house in disrepair..."I see pretty on that one". I love that excerpt too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen Sister! Love the rustic charm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. always so intriguing...I wonder at the lives lived there...and why they are empty now...your photographs capture that wonder...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love love old buildings, the faded colours are great to photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love the old houses and buildings too and photographing them! I think it's because they held so much life, they must be holy places. I've gone to craft shows for years and can never walk away buying any of the items that have a faux distress to them. It's just not the same.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I share your passion! These are all wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love these old places too. weathered and patina-ish...a glimpse into another time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful. Thank you. Each so rich and majestic in their own way.........

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh me too Donna.... the stories they could tell..... wouldn't be amazing to flash back and see the stories unfold.... your images are gorgeous... and capture the beauty of weathered and worn so beautifully.... You ALWAYS inspire dear friend.... happy weekend... xo, Kim

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, me too. I agree with you and all the above comments. I truly love that first one ... aged and beautifully framed with the tree, and the blur. I love the tall grass, the mossy roof, and the overall design. I had an "oops" moment the other day. There is a house/yard I am dying to explore but someone had parked a trailer there all summer. I noticed it was gone, so I drove into the yard ... oops! there was a car parked behind the garage and there was a woman in the garden ... I waved, turned around in the painfully small yard and left with a red face :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. He said it so well didn't he? Love your loves! I could sit and stare at old buildings all day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous photos, you've captured those old buildings so beautifully !
    Great excerpt too !
    Thanks for your lovely and encouraging words, Donna !
    Have a nice week,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  17. So lovely photos from houses and barns. Grat as your photos usually are!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So right on the mark with this. Your photos are beautiful too!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow gorgeous photos and lovely subtle textures. the wood in the old shed in the first photo is so beautiful.
    And please excuse the 3 slightly crazed emails to you that were thanking you for commenting on my blog.

    ReplyDelete