Friday, October 3, 2014

Here & Now

I'm linking up with Kim Klassen for Friday Finds.  My finds this week are slices of life, here and now.

First up, please meet Gladys.  She is the dress form I rescued from a local thrift shop.  She sits in the corner of my studio, looking sassy, and reminding me to have a little fun.  She has a voluptuous figure and seems to look good in just about any dress. Unlike me, she does not spend her days in yoga pants and a sports bra.  She shines with style.


Next, I have to share my latest storage solution. Pieces of weathered wood make beautiful backgrounds for still life photography. But it seems I am always hauling these heavy wooden cutting boards up and down the stairs, or sliding them out from under a bed, or pulling them from behind the sofa.  Such a waste of energy and such a shame to hide these beautiful textures.  So, here's my latest idea. To our kitchen wall, I drilled a few holes, put in a few anchor bolts and screws, and hung my two favorite wooden backgrounds as art.  Now, I can easily take them down to use for photo shoots, store them when I am finished, and admire them in between.


I have to add a little disclaimer here. We've had the same wallpaper in our kitchen for almost 18 years, and it is way past its expiration date. Major redecoration is planned in the near future!

On to more uses for cigar boxes.  Many print labs now offer photos with beautiful display boxes - such a thoughtful touch for storing and sharing pictures. I thought it might be fun to create a fall photo essay to be stored in a vintage cigar box. I printed my photos and sewed them onto card stock leaving lots of negative space.




And finally, a portrait of my youngest son, who is 17 years old–smart and funny, creative and kind, motivated and disciplined, and much more willing to let me take pictures of his stuff than of himself. I've noticed many of my photo friends who are taking the Be Still class posting family portraits that are intimate, loving and personal. What makes them so special is that the family members are not in the photos.




Coincidentally, there's an article in the most recent FLOW magazine (issue 6) that features the work of Italian photographer, Camilla Catrambone, and her series of portraits of family members using their personal belongings.

Camilla describes her fascination with objects:

In one way or another, everyone can be recognized by his or her personal belongings. The things a person chooses, the objects to which a person becomes attached, the way they use them, all of that tells a story about someone. It's like a fingerprint. 

Happy Friday!

21 comments:

  1. Love your idea of sewing your printed images onto card stock! I shall have to dig out my sewing machine and give that a try. Great Still Life portrait of your son as well. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that beautiful lady in your studio is a great addition and love the look, great person to hang out with. Each of your ideas are just great with the hanging of your backdrops, very cool. Love the teen image, such a memory. Good stuff for Friday Finds Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would live in yoga pants if I could :) Love your dress form, we have a wire one, but that will leave when Mallory eventually moves out. Love the cutting board idea. Storage is always an issue, hence why I started decorating with my photo props, kills two birds with one stone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a unique use for cigar boxes... and I love the idea of stitching your photos onto card stock! Except for the sneakers and the ear pieces, those things of your son's could easily have been mine (To Kill a Mockingbird is my favorite book!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. a great way to start my day - seeing such inspiring ideas - love hanging up the wood boards in your kitchen - wonderful texture and tone...and the portrait of your son is indeed a good indicator of his personality - love it. I've seen several references to FLOW magazine recently...I've got to track down a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ciao Donna,
    I just love the *portrait* of your youngest son made using his personal belongings. :)
    A great use of that cigar box, and how smart of you sewing your lovely prints onto card stock.
    Happy Friday and weekend ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must say that Gladys is looking very hip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your portrait of your son. I am impressed that 'To Kill A Mockingbird' is in his portrait. :) I wonder when the first Converse tennis shoe was made? I remember having a pair in high school... I am now on the look out for vintage cigar boxes at the next flea market. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your photos are full of inspiration! I love the dress form - that is so lovely. I also like your idea of how to use old cigar boxes - have you made sure that they are acid free? Sewing the photos onto cardstock is so creative - I love the look with the negative space! Oh, and you just have to love teenagers (I have one of the female kind).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your post today Donna ( actually I love them all !) Your dress form is very stylish and your chopping boards on the wall is an inspired idea ! Love the portrait of your son.....so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So much personality on this post! Love the dress form and teen life collage. Wonderfully done, all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the dress form all fancied up and your wall with the boards for backdrops...I need to something with mine but I don't have any kitchen walls...but you've given me something to think about...your work is really lovely and its a pleasure to visit your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a clever idea for the cigar boxes. Gladys is just too cute! That's a fabulous portrait of your son. I'm behind in bestill so I haven't done this yet.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great ideas, Donna! I love the boards on the wall and storage cigar box! The 'portrait' of your son is fabulous. He sounds like a very sweet boy. Oh, and sassy Gladys - perfect! Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great finds, Donna !
    I love your idea of the backgrounds and that portrait of your son is awesome !
    Thanks for your lovely comment ... but I have to say this afternoon I was taking
    some photos for the Start to Finish take away 'in a paper sack' ... I tried different flowers
    but it didn't work ... I'll try again tomorrow :-)
    Have a nice weekend,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love how you hung the two boards on your kitchen wall - it's absolutely brilliant! There's so much here ... I adore your "Gladys" and the portrait of your son ... it's just wonderful ... oh,and your cards sewed to the paper are just beautiful, I'm a huge fan of white space and these make me swoon :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. These item portraits are a neat idea. Particularly for those who are camera shy. I'm thinking of giving this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Enjoyed my visit to your home, meeting Gladys and your son, and sitting at your kitchen table admiring your collection of gorgeous wood on your wall. Nicely grouped with the other 'stuff.' Your printed photo art has inspired me to do the same...soon I hope!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. How sassy is Gladys and I love her suitcase. I really must try to get Flow it seems hard to get hold of here in my part of the world, or the local newsagent isn't very adventurous ! I have some cigar boxes that I'm hoarding I must haul them out .

    ReplyDelete
  21. hi Donna
    such gorgeous photos....so much to love in each... your son's portrait truly touches me.....the flow magazine article was the inspiration behind the Be Still lesson.... I immediately fell in love with the idea.... the photographer featured in Flow ...is oh my.... hard to find words for such inspiration.....

    i love your kitchen photo... even the wallpaper.... LOVE...

    happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.