Friday, September 26, 2014

Via Colori

Via Colori is an annual festival held in my hometown of Fredericksburg, Virginia. The event features creative works completed by artists using chalk on the pavement of closed-off city streets.

It is a celebration of creativity and is founded on a spirit of cooperation and non-competitiveness. There are no winners or losers. . . just the collected creative expression of artists working together to support a cause.

This year's proceeds will benefit the Grace Oughton Cancer Foundation, which offers a variety of services to families fighting cancer.


Wistful for just a few more days of summer, I strolled Sophia and Charlotte Streets, watching the artists create their masterpieces.


Such a fascinating process. The more limber of the artists, squatted and stooped to draw.  Others got down on hands and knees.  Some clever folks used long handles with chalk attached to the end allowing them to remain standing - at least to make an outline.



Some artists carefully constructed grids as a framework for design, while others sketched free hand.






All manner of method and tool was used to smooth the chalk - sponges, taped fingers, brushes, spritzes with water.


 

The artists painted with passion and purpose. And I took pictures, hoping to convey the intensity and the joy of their work.


I'm linking up with Kim Klassen and my Friday Finds are these artists who work to make the world a better place.


19 comments:

  1. What lovely photos and an awesome event right in your town. I love how each artist has their own unique style and method to creating their work. Just like all of us :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the way you captured all of this and seeing so many messy hands is wonderful in art because art is messy but oh so sweet to produce. Wonderful captures and such a find, love communities that put forth the effect to let people produce art for a good cause.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely idea for a festival. There's something very precious about an image that won't be there after the next shower of rain. Your photos are super: brilliant, intense colours and lots of concentrated drawing. I'd definitely hang out there if I lived anywhere nearby. All the best, Bonny

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful festival. I had no idea a chalk drawing could be so beautiful, love the colors and textures. Like Barbara, I love the messy hands. You captured the artists in their own little world focused on their work, as you were focused on creating your art work - photos of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great festival, Donna, so colorful !
    Love your photos ... you've captured all so beautifully !
    Have a nice weekend,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you captured that creative intensity in all its glory...

    ReplyDelete
  7. How colorful and awesome! I love the box of colored chalks...makes me want to pick up a few and see what happens (I'm not good but it's fun to try). Beautiful photos and up close and personal!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great images capturing these artists at work. I adore outdoor chalk art. It is not meant to be permanent, but to be appreciated in the moment. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Must be beautiful all those colourfull Streets and I wish I could make something too, the colours are so inviting to give it a try !
    Lily

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea ! I love all the colors, beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, wow - I would've loved to be there and have seen that! I'm already blown away by some of the unfinished sketches that you've shown here. I'm always inspired by artists and the beauty they create for us. Lovely captures!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I so enjoyed this post donna and absolutely you captured their spirit and creativity - this was my thought before I even read your words. I especially love the last photo. you need to submit that one to stampington magazines. They will love it and publish it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your perspective on this event, Donna! Great images!

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW, how cool is this! Visiting from Friday Finds.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful images. You perfectly depicted the artists and their passion. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a wonderful find this week! I also noticed the different types of jewelry each artist wore, another reflection of their unique style.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm surprised that none of these painters are wearing a face mask. Breathing pastel dust is not a good thing, certainly not for children.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a delightful photo walk! You really captured the spirit and creative energy of the event. Makes me want to take out my pastels and lay down some color.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. How brilliant is this! So much creativity, and I just love the messy hands! :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.