Friday, September 5, 2014

Slow Down


It seems odd to me that things we fret and worry over seldom actually happen.  It’s the unforeseen events, the tragedies that we never thought could happen to us or the danger lurking just around the bend, that scar us forever. 


I am not, by nature, a worrier. I tend to be shielded by optimism and occasionally outright denial. But, I have been in that awful position when a single incident, event or sentence changes our whole world.  


Suddenly, the life you imagined is gone.  I have held in my arms a son so tiny he could not survive and a husband so wracked with pain that the diagnosis of cancer felt like a relief.  


And so, when we rounded the sharp curve on Route 5 in Virginia, traveling from Williamsburg to Richmond, the roadside memorial for this young woman, took my breath away. For just a moment, I felt the pain that every mother can imagine, and then it was too much, so I stopped feeling and took the pictures.




The lessons that we learn from pain and loss, personal and profound. . . bring us all to the same place. In our sorrow, we find our humanity. 


I'm linking up with Kim Klassen today. My Friday Find is the comfort of ordinary days where I remember to slow down, remember to drop to my knees and say a prayer of thanks, and remember to cherish every moment–even the sad ones.

8 comments:

  1. These images are so very powerful and heartbreaking, especially the last one ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my Donna, these images are penetrating right to the heart. The teddy on the cross, oh my.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your images have reminded me to 'slow down' and realize what is really important today. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your moving images...viewed with my first cup of coffee for the day...a powerful reminder of what is important...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a moving piece Donna, words and images. We do all have those life defining moments, it is what we do after them that completes the story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your words and images are so strong and poignant, thanks for making me stop and count my blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whenever I see these along the roadside a wave of sadness hits me for the family left behind. We live on a road like the one you described with several hard turns. Several deaths of teenagers have accured, just heartbreaking. I want to thank you so much for stopping by my blog and leaving such a heartfelt message of encouragement. After an exceptionally long day and rough first week in the classroom it truly gave me comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you stopped and took these photos. Looking at them makes my heart hurt. I've been through the pain of losing a child and a spouse. Fortunately these days are brighter. Thanks for the message.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.