Tuesday, September 23, 2014

On A Plate

I share a car with my son, the one who is a senior in high school. One little family. Three drivers. Two cars. On the days he takes the car to and from school, I am a homebody by necessity, and this has been good for me. I accomplish more and spend less money. I take long walks, read, cook dinner, and often practice my photography.

More time at home has also forced me to take a long, hard look at how much stuff we've accumulated. And by we, I mean me. As much as I love still life photography, I've sometimes used it as an excuse to buy and collect. Some people thrive in a home filled with treasures, each one stirring a fond memory or sentiment. But, I'm not one of them. I feel overwhelmed by too much stuff. . . weighed down. . . driven to distraction. . . cluttered inside and out. So, I've filled the van twice with photo props–chairs and bowls and linens and the like–and hauled my donations to Goodwill. I feel like I can breathe again. This feels good.

But, on these home bound days, I still yearn to make pictures. And so, I found myself out in our garage (gorgeous light and shadows), taking pictures of whatever I could lay my hands on. I used a plate–the one old ironstone platter I kept just because I love it.

My husband happened to break the pretty little dish that holds our soap. He was sorry, and I was inspired. Broken pieces of china became elements of my still life scenes for today.

And the last of the old-fashioned roses from the bush in our yard.


And the apples from our Shenandoah Valley visit. And the Rough Linen pinafore, textured linen love, became the background for the pictures.


I made pictures of things on a plate in my garage on a day when I was blessed enough to have time for doing anything I wanted.

And what I want is to wake up every day to choose joy. 


I'm linking up with Kim Klassen for Texture Tuesday. Thank you Kim for your texture cherish that gives light and softness to the linen background in these images.

20 comments:

  1. with that lovely platter and the textured linen, you really don't need any other props - your ability to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear transforms the simplest of photos...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful arrangements! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your thoughts Donna, I think we do get overwhelmed with clutter and then can't really think I know I do. But the prop junkie in me wishes I had been there to see what you were taking to the Goodwill. :) Love the simplicity of your images, especially the last and what a beautiful platter. Glad you kept that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So simple and gorgeous! Your platter is the perfect frame for roses and apples, good choice to keep it. :) I feel so much 'lighter' when I go through things and give them away, almost like there is more room to think. I does feel good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness! You are SO creative. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so funny I can sit home lots of days with my car in the garage, but as soon my car is in the shop for the day I feel a burning need to go somewhere any where but in the house. I have used lots of my photo props for decorating so that has helped but there are still too many things. I am constantly making trips to our charity store.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this set of images - what a wonderful idea for a series! I know what you mean - I just packed up a bunch of clutter and gave it to charity. It's a good reason to pick-up a few new props now and again. Love, love, love your apple images!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bus everywhere or walk as Mark uses the car for work. Something I have got used to over the years. A great idea for a still life and those apples look good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love your play with apples in these images. Joy is the best choice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful images, so creative. Love the apples and love that you choose joy every day !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, these are all so lovely, but the apple photos are fall perfection. I'm guilty of buying things for photo props as well. Each spring and fall I purge, but then I go thrifting and find more!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are delightful on the white plate. I love my Rough Linen pinafore!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yea, see we are in class together s2f

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful shots! It takes a special eye to see beauty and potential in broken china. I love your attitude on being homebound when you don't have a car.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh what a beautifully written post. Bravo to you for getting rid of clutter, I feel the same way about it but find myself continuing to collect props. It must be an addiction of some kind ... your images are clean, beautifully composed with such gorgeous lighting. Congrats on the TT feature today - so well deserved!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on being featured on Kim's blog today. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a lovely photo to have feature...perfect...My kind of photo...but the really nice thing about being featured is that I found you and your work...I think it is all lovely and very like minded...
    Thanks so much for sharing your talent and enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yum...all-around YUM. Love how you played with the same few items in various ways.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.