Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Chiaroscuro

On a gorgeous almost Autumn day, we ventured to the Shenandoah Valley for fresh air, scenic views, and apple picking.


Home again, we unloaded our haul of crisp apples and golden honey. I wasn't planning to take pictures of the apples, but as they sat in the bushel basket in our garage, the light beckoned.


More and more, I find the essence of thoughtful photography lies in the contrast between light and dark.


And I am drawn to the chiaroscuro style of food photography. In Italian, chiaroscuro means light-dark. This style of photography, inspired by painting, uses light and deep shadows to create a dramatic focus on the subject.


The images tend to be lush and moody with strong tonal contrast. Chiaroscuro invites the viewer to spend time with an image, searching for and savoring details.


For more samples of chiaroscuro photography and suggestions for how to make these dramatic images, visit the blogs yuppie chef and desserts for breakfast.

I'm linking up with Kim Klassen for Texture Tuesday.  Thank you to Kim for her canvas texture that adds a little magic to these apple photographs.

15 comments:

  1. applause, applause! your images are stunning...I admire this dark interplay of light and shadow, making the most common of foods look sublime...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh Donna you make the apples look so alive .... the colour of light and dark is something I like very much, but haven't done much in. So inspiring and oh to have some honey on warm toast from you past image .... looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got some gorgeous shots of the apples there. Lovely lighting, sharp colors --beautiful!

    Chiaroscuro... I don't think I've heard this term since my Humanities class back in university. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have finally put into words what I love about your photography, the light/dark contrast is what I am drawn to. I love a moody feeling photo and you nail it every time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. gasp.... so very very beautiful..... seriously Donna.... these images take my breath away....LOVE.
    so good to see you at TT.... and so nice to be here... have a beautiful week.
    Talk soon... xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Donna, I love this style. It's so dramatic. Thanks for the links. I'll check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are absolutely stunning and so inspirational. I love the light/dark - so very dramatic, and thank you for the explanation of the origins of this type of photography. I'm off to check out your links - thank you and happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So delicious apples! Love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You certainly know how to create beautiful light/dark photos. The shadows do have me searching for details in the lighter parts of the image. So very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A wonderful example of light and dark in images!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing! Your images are gorgeous! I love the second image from the top.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Head over heels in love with these shots!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my ! Your photos are stunning ! The light/dark is so beautiful.....I love them all, and the jar of honey looks so golden and delicious !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow!!!!! Awesome apples!!!! Love that first one with the quote the mostest!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmmmh! Beautiful apple pics! And honey and great quotes, too!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.