Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Summer Travelogue {Eastern Shore}


We couldn’t let summer slip by without one more mini-vacation, an overnight stay on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. We visited the town of Cambridge.  

Along the path of the Choptank River, we admired the lighthouse. 


And, we immersed ourselves in the culture of this quaint town, stopping to shop at Webster’s store. 



As I took pictures, local residents stopped to chat, pointing me toward the most scenic areas in town.  A lady swinging in a hammock on her front porch jovially laughed with me over a shared obsession for picture-taking and admonished me to be sure to visit the Blackwater Wildlife Refuge. Since my camera and I are sometimes shooed away, it was a genuine pleasure to feel welcome in my quest to document the life and times of this community.


The highlight of our little getaway was a ride on the Oxford Bellevue Ferry to St. Michael’s Island.


We talked with watermen as they unloaded bushel baskets of crabs, watched from the pier as fisherman reeled in the catch of the day, and admired the craftsmanship of the wooden work boats.








The greatest gift the camera gives me is the opportunity to photograph life - and at the same time - experience it. When I am very lucky, every summer day feels like a vacation.

I'm linking up with Kim Klassen for Texture Tuesday.  Thank you to Kim for her texture, GreyDay, used on soft light and color blend modes to accentuate today's pictures.

16 comments:

  1. You had me with those watermelons on the red bench! Is that "Tommy," Thomas Point Lighthouse? I think it might be. These are gorgeous pictures--a day captured *and* lived, which isn't easy to do in this age of constant phone-snapping. Maybe it's because you're using a real camera--you experience the moment, know it, and then take the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love that lighthouse and Donna I love your photography and your edits. You are a wonderful photographer. The watermelon shot is just super great in my book as all of them are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The greatest gift the camera gives me is the opportunity to photograph life - and at the same time - experience it." - That's exactly how I feel, too! The reflection in the water in that first photo is beautiful.

    http://www.buckeroomama.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. You capture life so wonderfully in your photographs. As a photographer I feel like a collector of moments, stashing them away for later... to experience them all over again. I love the watermelons on the red bench and the lighthouse. It sounds like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All these are great shots! I too LOVE the watermelons on the red bench. Wowza! You've gotta tell us if they were already positioned like that, or if you arranged them so perfectly! :o) So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks like it was the perfect way to wind up summer adventures...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the watermelons on the red bench image! What a lovely place for a mini vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely photos and I am glad that you were not shooed away with your camera.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous photos, I used to live near there Donna, in a little place called Queen Anne and loved it. Such a picturesque part of the Eastern Shore.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful tip from the hammock swinger! Simply beautiful shots! I can smell the sea air!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like a photographic delight Donna. Your photographs always make me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful photos... I especially love the red bench with the watermelons. Looks like you had a great little vacation and a great photo shoot too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Donna you have captured a day in your vacation so beautifully. Stunning images, great story to go with them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful area and lovely day you had, Donna! Wonderful images and processing, as well! All of them, along with the telling of your day, drew me right in. My husband, before we were married, used to work in a fishing community up in Washington and has shared lots of stories with me. Just wish he had the photos to go along with them, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful travelogue! Want to go there!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your photos and words would be a perfect Blurb book! Love the collages and close up shots of every day happenings!

    ReplyDelete