Thursday, July 17, 2014

Stealing Summer

Summer drifts by. Before it's gone, I steal slices of summer, storing them away . . . sometimes as memories and sometimes as more. The pictures help me to remember these pieces of summer that touch my heart, change my mind, and lead the way for this one precious life I have.

Plums from a tree along an abandoned lot in downtown Fredericksburg. . . I can hear the music on the library steps playing in the distance. . .


Butterflies on coneflowers at Grelen Nursery in Somerset. . .


Bales of hay on farms along country roads of the Blue Ridge mountains. . .



Hummingbirds at the feeder from our front porch. . . 


Views from The Inn at Meander Plantation in Orange, Virginia. . . where we celebrated our wedding anniversary. . .





Storm brewing after a hot and hazy day. . .


Balloon flowers in the gardens of Montpelier, James Madison's home. . .


Scrumptious homemade blueberry apple pie at a cool cafe in Richmond. . .


Watching the goats along the goat walk at Yoder's Country Store. . .


Chocolates from Carytown in Richmond . . .


And purple coneflowers everywhere. . . 



This is a really, really good life and summer is sweet.

10 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm so glad to see a post from you! I love all the photos, but the red barn is my favorite. I'm sure enjoying my summer as well, but it's zooming by all too fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, I've spent some time today visiting your blog, and it sure looks as though you are enjoying your summer as well. I am touched by the many pictures that include your grandchildren and your adventures with them. I can see that the time you spend with them is shaping them into fine young people.

      Delete
  2. all so lovely...it has been a glorious summer...thought of you as we were spending time in Charlottesville, Scottsville and Richmond...a most beautiful spot in the country...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, I had such fun visiting your blog today - viewing your travels through the South. It brings me great pleasure to think that we were both tromping through rural roads, taking pictures, and storing up inspiration.

      Delete
  3. How absolutely lovely, thank you so much for sharing your wonderful photos, and a belated Happy Anniversary !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful post, having being born and raised in VA you captured the essence of the state so well. Love love that still life, such beauty and light, just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I have missed your photography. I hope you are having a lovely summer, and that you had a great anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely superb shots! I want to spend time at each location! And the red chairs - can't beat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All exquisite summer postcards, Donna! Just gorgeous! :))

    ReplyDelete