Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Savory

Sometimes the best photos are in your own backyard.

The weather has been gorgeous—sunny with low humidity, soft dreamy clouds against a blue sky, and a whisper of breeze. I walk around the yard looking for a picture to make. Waiting for a spark of inspiration.


Our home is shaded by three old oak trees. We love the shade, but it makes for a hard time growing grass. If it's green and covers the dirt, we count it as ground cover. Chickweed, mostly. I plant lots of perennials—coreopsis, dianthus, columbine, irises, daylilies, coral bells, bleeding hearts, and foxglove. Some survive and others die. But, without fail, the plants that thrive are the herbs.


Our garden is made full by the vigor of herbs and fresh by their heady scent. Everyone who walks the sidewalk to our home, stops to pick a petal and inhale the fragrance. I need to add some honeysuckle, the sweetest smell of summer.


The herbs that grace our flower beds and the walkway to our front door, were the spark for today's pictures. A simple study of the herbs that delight our senses and enhance our food. Fresh and fragrant.


I'm linking up with Kim Klassen for Texture Tuesday where the theme is nature. Thanks to Kim for the textures grunged up and waterfront 7 used to enhance the photos of herbs.

20 comments:

  1. Hi Donna! Love love LOVE this post! :) Wish I had a herb garden like this.
    I've been planning to use similar idea like in your second picture to teach some nature flowers for me children :)
    After seeing your pictures, I just need to do it!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mona, this would be such a fun project to do with your daughters - making a botanical guide - taking pictures, smelling, cooking and tasting, making herb and flower arrangements. In the garden, the possibilities for fun and learning are endless.

      Delete
  2. SUCH cuteness with the herbs. These could be magazine layouts! Our front yard is like that, shaded by oak trees and not plentiful with the grass, especially as the summer wears on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the herbs in each of their ceramic pitchers is wonderful! I am not much of a gardener but my oregano has taken over my backyard - leaping out of the raised planter and spreading everywhere - which is fine by me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, Yes, I just let the herbs spread and occasionally take over, too. I'm a low maintenance gardener!

      Delete
  4. Love how all of this is displayed and well thought out, it really could be on any wall in a kitchen or dining room,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donna, I love all your photos, how lovely they are ! I wish I could smell all those beautiful herbs and I love all the different vases and pitchers you used...just wonderful. I'm always inspired by you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many herbs! Beautiful photos of them all. Reminds me that I need to get some mint, it doesn't last through the winter here. Just don't try Ajuga (bugleweed) as it will take over!
    You have such nice, simple backgrounds to use with your variety of ceramic pitchers, lovely contrasts with the green.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny, I used burlap covered canvas from our local Michael's craft store as a background for these pictures - affordable and great texture. Pass the word . . . another great backdrop idea!

      Delete
  7. Stunning collection! so beautifully presented!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beyond gorgeous. I love the softness to these image. Happy June.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Lisa. After a very cold winter, yes, it is a happy June!

      Delete
  9. Delightful collection and gorgeous display! I love this idea so much I have to "borrow" it from you ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, Borrow away! It's always a joy to help spark another photographer's creativity. We learn so much from each other.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful Donna I love your arrangement and what lovely jugs and vases you have...

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are AWESOME! Love them all. They are very inspiring. Have a great week :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The texture on the last photo -- I love it! Your creative idea to add the names in an appealing font works so well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love herbs and love your photos! I think I've said before, I have a soft spot for any food related photography!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this, Donna! Those little jars and pitchers - how fun! I am awful at the prop and still life shots - yours are so lovely! And your lead in description of the weather made my heart sigh - have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely post! Such beautiful still lifes - so simple and elegant.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.