Friday, June 20, 2014

Inspiration

One of my favorite places to search for inspiration is our local library. On a recent visit, I picked up Amy Butler's Midwest Modern: A Fresh Design Style for the Modern Lifestyle. I was immediately drawn to Amy's organic approach to style and design. She turns to nature as a sketchbook for design ideas and encourages readers to use her book to spark their own creativity. The book is filled with page after page of gorgeous pictures of recycled materials, reinvented vintage items, and homemade crafts.

Amy offers sage advice on finding inspiration.

To find inspiration, sometimes you have to go out and look for it. Clear your mind, take in new experiences. Being an artist isn't about obsessing, it's about revealing, about exposing your soul to the universe. It can make you feel vulnerable sometimes. The best way to feel at peace with your creativity is to embrace your place in the world. Experience the beauty of your surroundings, tune in to other people, and fully immerse yourself in the world to which you offer your art. That way, you'll never feel as though your art doesn't fit in.


I'll be taking Amy's advice this summer – heading out to look for inspiration and spending less time in front of the computer screen. So blog posts will be less frequent.  I'll try to stop by and visit my favorite bloggers and leave a comment, but if you don't hear from me, don't worry. I'm just out on an adventure in real life.  Happy summer!


I'm linking up with Kim Klassen today and my Friday Find is the inspiration for a life well-lived.

12 comments:

  1. It looks like a great book. I LOVE books, especially creative books. That advice of hers is perfect. I love your shot of the planting box with the hydrangeas. Perfect magazine quality!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ~as always, your photos are perfect! The one in the middle with the quote is my fav!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply beautiful such rich colours...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your images are gorgeous! Love the colors and the 'from above' perspective. Wonderful words of advice. Have fun on your adventure!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy has some great sound advice. I just love what you have shared. Speaks to my heart and soul. Thank you for that. Your images are brilliant.. Stunning.
    Cant wait for more. Your one of my fav places to stop.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful from above still life, love all your images... so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love looking at your photos Donna, they always tell a wonderful story ! Enjoy your adventures :))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photos.... and I love the words you chose... great advice too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photos with a timeless message. I do hope you enjoy your time finding inspiration. I look forward to seeing your finds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for you Donna - I need to do this - the computer is a HUGE time drain for me. Enjoy... but please don't make us wait too long in between posts : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely images Donna. I really like the dark and dramatic feel to them. Enjoy your summer!

    ReplyDelete