Friday, June 13, 2014

Cultivated Treasures

Gardens are often defined by bursts of color and light, but lines and textures and shadows play significant roles in the shaping of a garden, too. While color photographs paint the garden as a watercolor image, black and white photographs sculpt the curves and lines and structure of the garden as a graphic image.

A collection of everyday garden objects—watering cans, pots and planters, statuary, wrought iron chairs, urns, and tools—bring beauty, function, and form to the well-cultivated garden.

And, if you are like me, and your shrubs, herbs, and flowers sometimes wither, garden collectibles may save the garden by filling in those dead spaces with welcoming charm. 








The garden is, in many ways, a metaphor for life. I'll leave you with wise words from Brené Brown on how to cultivate love in the garden of life.

We cultivate love when we allow our most vulnerable and powerful selves to be deeply seen and known, and when we honor the spiritual connection that grows from that offering with trust, respect, kindness and affection.

Love is not something we give or get; it is something that we nurture and grow, a connection that can only be cultivated between two people when it exists within each one of them – we can only love others as much as we love ourselves.

Shame, blame, disrespect, betrayal, and the withholding of affection damage the roots from which love grows. Love can only survive these injuries if they are acknowledged, healed and rare.
 
Brené Brown, The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You're Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are

I'm linking up with Kim Klassen today and my Friday Finds are these garden treasures. 

13 comments:

  1. Great photos, Donna. As you say sometimes black and white images lead our eyes to appreciate other aspects of the garden that are less obvious in the colour image. And you are so right: there is a lot of interest in the non-organic things that we add to our gardens. The weathering of old wood and metal can become visually stunning in its own right with the passage of time. I also appreciated the wisdom of Brené Brown; lovely words. Thanks for sharing and all the best for the weekend, Bonny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your images are amazing! The black and white images help me focus on the shapes and textures of the garden, things I may not always see when distracted by beautiful colors. Your are right, the collectables do add character to the garden. The old chair is wonderful. I haven't put any of my garden collectables out yet. I need to do that today. I love Brene Brown, thank you for her words today. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your exploration into Black and White here. Adds mystery to the garden. I love Brene Brown and have read that book twice already. I get new stuff out of it every time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photos, filled with texture ! Loved the words too, I have never read Brene Brown, I must check into her books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The B&W photos of your garden treasures are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you did these in black and white! You have some beautiful items in your garden- my favorite images I think are the tools and the pot stacks! Brene Brown is great, isn't she?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoyed this post, Donna !
    Lovely garden treasures ... you've captured them so beautifully
    and they are great in b&w !
    Have a nice weekend,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh i love your b&w's today Donna... the top one...that chair... and in B&W... exceptional...
    your words always move me... thank you for this today.... have a beautiful weekend....

    with LOVE.. xo, Kim

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your b&w photography is absolutely beautiful and inspiring. I adore the second one with the tools. I think I'm going to have to go around my yard thinking in black and white!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely adore every single image you've shared today. Wonderful collection of black and whites! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love every single image you've shared today and the black and white is stunning!! LOVELY post! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.