Friday, May 9, 2014

The Ins And Outs



In the mail 

Remember I mentioned Artifact Uprising?  This print company aims to get pictures off of our devices and into our lives. Love this intention.


 
ARTIFACT UPRISING // inspired by the disappearing beauty of the tangible / bettered by a community of inspired storytellers / driven by the belief everyone has a story to tell. Tell On.



My postcard pack (20 cards) arrived in the mail this week and it was instant love. I can’t wait to mail these artful cards with handwritten messages to friends and family.



In the garden 

As an early Mother’s Day gift, my sweet husband took me to one of my favorite spots, Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens, for the Butterfly exhibit.   

We strolled through the warm and light-filled conservatory marveling at the many butterfly species with swirls of color. In the midst of the butterflies in flight, wings fluttering, it was impossible to worry or fret over daily details.  In the butterfly garden, beauty and peace were the order of the day. 


In the studio

I’m taking Kim Klassen’s Start To Finish photography class.  For a recent lesson, Kim encouraged us to try the perspective of shooting from above.  This view is so open to interpretation, inviting the viewer to step into the scene. A story telling perspective. 

Thought I’d share a little behind the scenes of the set-up for my photo. 


I mounted my Canon 7D on my tripod with a horizontal arm.  As you can see, there was natural light from the window, but not enough to hand hold (at least not without turning the ISO way up).  With the tripod, I set my ISO to 100.  If your lens has image stabilization, be sure to turn this off when using your tripod. 


I set my camera to Aperture Priority, f/2.8, and enabled the Live View feature.  If you haven’t tried Live View, you’re missing a wonderful tool for composition.  I switched to manual focus and moved the focusing box to the desired area. The magnification feature is an absolute must to get tack sharp focus.  I also turned on exposure simulation which really helps me to see what the final image will look like.  I played around with different focus points, depths of field and compositions. 

Even in low light, if you use your tripod, you can take gorgeous pictures with soft and lovely light.  A slow shutter speed can be your best friend when using your tripod and taking pictures of things that do not move. These photos were taken at a shutter speed of ¼ second. 


I’m linking up with Kim Klassen and my Friday Finds are the Ins and Outs, the workings of photography as art.

17 comments:

  1. Gorgeous images. I love shooting from above and I really love the shot of your tripod set up! Your artifact uprising cards are beauiful. One day I will order some but the UK shipping charge is massive so I need to find a special occasion. Happy weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos and I love those cards too! Thanks for sharing your behind the scenes photo too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to make some postcards! Your still life is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love from above shots and yours turned out beautifully. Great behind the scenes look at your work. That first silver platter you used is too die for. It must be prop heaven at your house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is that a stove-eye cover you've turned over in the first few shots? You are so clever, always looking at the bottoms of things. I'm proud to say *I* was sent one of those gorgeous postcards and it's a treasure. It's now my favorite bookmark, but only for books I'm reading that are worthy.

    The still life lesson is one you showed me in person as we worked on the teacup photo shoot. My camera doesn't have some of the capabilities of yours, but your use of the tripod and slow shutter speed can be applied to even a Nikon 3100. I wish I'd been in that butterfly garden . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always fun to play with you - artful adventures, sharing books and ideas, and honing our styles. Might be fun to take your sister to the Butterfly Garden? The prop you mentioned - it's an old cake pan with the little arm that swings underneath to help loosen the cake and hopefully get it out of the pan without breaks or cracks. More junk!

      Delete
  6. oh i love your postcards from Artifact Uprising!! You have inspired me to order today ... just lovely! I have never tried the Live View feature and magnification focus ... gotta try that on my Mark II today also! thanks to you i am going to have a busy fun filled kinda day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely wonderful images! You have inspired me to go have a look at Artifact Uprising - your postcards look beyond amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wonderful as always...your pictures, your outlook, your perspective, your informative pointers...thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Magnificent post, so full of beautiful photography, lovely cards, and helpful camera tips!! We have a butterfly exhibit here that I want to get to this summer. LOVE the heart made with seeds!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many gorgeous photos here- wow! I love the postcard idea- especially with your beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful images ! Love your postcards too. Thanks for sharing your set up for "above" shots, very helpful :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous images Donna! And excited to discover Artifacts Uprising...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This has really inspired me to get out my tripod and try a few camera setting s that I haven't tried yet ....Thanks! Love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Donna! I'm really enjoying the photos on your blog, thanks so much for sharing ithe link over in our class discussion. I'm impressed by your camera knowledge and am inspired to learn more about my own equipment. I look forward to checking in with you in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely blog this is! Truly like the postcard book, combining both beautiful photography and the great lost art of handwritten correspondence. A win-win, in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic images...thank you for sharing your set up and tips, I have learnt something new from them.

    ReplyDelete