Friday, May 30, 2014

Accidental Tourist

A naturally early riser, I often visit downtown on Saturday mornings.


I stop and shop at the Farmer's Market. Flowers for planting in the garden, grape tomatoes, and sugar snap peas are on today's list. And, my best find of the morning . . . three smiling children who come to help their father sell produce.



I stroll through Downtown Greens watching the rising sun as it dances among the irises, creating a watercolor painting before my eyes.


Taking photographs in front of the old Victorian-style house that is home to Jan Williams Florals, I am delighted to visit with Jan in-person. She welcomes me into her garden and her friendly feline poses perfectly.


Some Saturdays, I have company. My son joins me, and if he is feeling particularly jaunty, he will pose at the gate of  Historic Kenmore Plantation (home of Betty Washington Lewis; sister to George Washington) or some other scenic spot.

 
I don't set out with a map or an agenda, but almost every Saturday I see my hometown through fresh eyes as an accidental tourist. Let the summer adventures begin!

I'm linking up with Kim Klassen today. My Friday Finds are the how-to's of a story-telling photo session—homework for Start to Finish class completed.

Almost forgot—when you have a chance, please visit my new Portfolio. Thanks so much to Kim for her encouragement and instruction in establishing a portfolio site. I also found this article, I've Found My Favorite Photography Portfolio Website At Squarespace, by Matt Kloskowski, to be very helpful, too.

25 comments:

  1. Donna - Your photos are always so sunning - so thoughtful... your eye for color is impeccable! The beauty you see in the "everyday". Love the boys and the tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos, Donna. I enjoyed coming along on your shopping trip. Lovely post. All the best, Bonny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos! I will be back to class homework this weekend. Mallory leaves today for her summer intern position, so my quiet time will return. Congrats. on the portfolio. I have been talking doing one for a year, impressed that you made it happen so quickly. But your stuff is very portfolio worthy! Still not sure what direction I want to go with my work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So fun to take a walk with you Donna, love each and every one, The kids shot is just wonderful as all of the others. You are very good at the storytelling images.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun post to read about your tour of hometown! You have captured it all so beautifully! Thank you for the link to Matt's site, it will be on my list to review. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What beauty you found on your walk! I love that your son goes with you and is willing to have his picture taken! My favorite time to be outside is in the morning with the birds singing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely photos, I enjoyed walking with you through your downtown :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely, Donna! I enjoyed touring your town today. Your portfolio is great! I pinnned Matt's article for future reference, thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You live in a beautiful place Donna love the bright vibrant photos....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful, colorful shots! I like the three photo collage with the little boys. You caught the essence of the market perfectly.
    I checked out your portfolio, it's done well and I like how it goes back to your blog. I would be interested to know why you don't watermark your photos? I go back and forth on it. I have a portfolio up at Zenfolio, but that is more for selling. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny, Thanks for visiting. I'm really not sure about the watermarking issue, but mostly I don't add them because I think they distract from the viewing experience. So far, people have been great about asking to use my images and/or paying me for prints and note cards. You can read the opinion of a professional photographer at this link (in the comments section) - http://www.mattk.com/2013/02/26/quick-squarespace-portfolio-qa/ Hope this helps!

      Delete
  11. wonderful! I too love walking around town..so much more is revealed...and you captured it with a keen eye...I visited your portfolio site...absolutely gorgeous...you have a gift...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great captures... I really enjoyed your story and photos!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for taking us on a walk through your town. Lovely images, the light on the irises is wonderful. Your son looks like he enjoys his picture taken. :) Your portfolio is gorgeous. You did a great job. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love those three boys...glad you had a wonderful day for a walk in town!

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh my word... oh my gosh... so excited about your portfolio Donna..... soooo impressive.... your images here and there.... GASP... beautiful... truly.
    such an amazing artist you are......
    happy sigh.... xo, Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, Much of my joy in taking and sharing photographs comes by way of my friendship with you. I am fascinated by how many like minded individuals you attract - all so passionate and creative - and yet every picture is unique. I learn something from every post and every lesson from you - sometimes your words and images change my mind or teach me something new, but many times they simply touch my heart. Thank you!

      Delete
  16. p.s. so happy you are pleased with Squarespace.... xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh stunning. I loved your portfolio . Beautiful work and such an inspiration. Im going to try Squarespace also. Thank you for the link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, Hope you have a great weekend, too. I know you've been busy, and I hope you will find the time to rest and renew as needed. If I can help with squarespace at all, please just ask. Take care.

      Delete
  18. I just viewed your portfolio site and it blew me away! Simply fantastic! I will tuck that article about squarespace away for a time when I feel I have grown enough to do the same:)

    Your town is delightful! Thanks for taking us on your Saturday walk:)

    ReplyDelete