Friday, May 16, 2014

8 Steps to Portraiture


Step 1. Wake your husband up at 6am, when the light is perfect.

Step 2. Steal peonies from neighbor's yard.


Step 3. Change out of PJs, style hair; add make-up, put on colorful dress. Leave husband in PJs.

Step 4. Adjust camera settings—aperture priority, ISO 400, f/2.8, and take practice shots. Make sure to locate background without cars and houses.

Step 5. Show husband where to stand in the garden and what to press—shutter.

Step 6. Pretend you are a model for the Anthropologie catalog.

 

tisana dress 

And...put yourself in the picture. Smell flowers, toss the bouquet, and smile like the grateful girl you are. 



 
Step 7. Kiss husband and say thank you because he loves you whether you are a fashion model or simply a model wife and mother.


Step 8. Optional. Make breakfast for husband.

I am generally not a fan of having my picture taken—whether by my own hand or by another shutterbug. But, once in a while, it’s fun to play dress-up, fun to feel pretty, and fun to have fun in front of the camera. In culling the photos from this shoot, I chose the ones my son said look most like the real me.  I am happy to say that I like what I see, not because I am a raving beauty, but because I can see joy all over my face.


I'm linking up with Kim Klassen and my Friday Finds are these 8 steps to playful portraiture.

17 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness....SO GREAT! So wonderful to see the whole you and there is definitely joy written all over your face!!! Why to go hubby for playing along, he did great! You are so brave!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your post! The best portrait pictures are the ones that show our true self, not a staged perfectness that we know isn't really us. There is joy in your face and you look like you are having so much fun. I agree with Sarah, you are brave. Oh... and I really love your still life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun, Donna! You've got this portrait photo business totally figured out! I loved the pictures, and the lovely still life at the end - beautiful composition. Peonies are really pretty - and so are you! Bonny

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun and sweet shoot love everything about this Donna. Super fun. So good. Your last image is super gorgeous love your lighting

    ReplyDelete
  5. the absolute best! your joy (and the willingness of your husband to play along) put a smile on my face...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic a great photo shoot and I love your still life too...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful photos of lovely you, Donna !
    I so enjoyed this post ... thanks for all the great tips !
    Have a nice weekend,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  8. I once wrote (somewhere) that peonies are like girls coming home too late from a dance. Unlike roses, they look like they've had *fun*. And so did you, Peony Gal! Love the Pucci-inspired dress you're wearing. And your husband is *always* a good sport!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great and fun idea! Love the smile on your face, sure made me smile just looking at the fun and joy you were having. Loved all the photos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I actually kind of got teary at this post, thinking of all the times we are ashamed of our imperfections. It was a pleasure to see these photos of you. What joy and beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your post Donna!!! Every picture and word.You look stunning!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely a delightful and fun post!!! It brings a smile to my face this morning and it looks like you had a lot of fun!! I love your dress and smile, and flowers! Love the bottom floral image!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good for you! and, you do look full of joy! These will be great photos for your husband and kids to have!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful and joyful! Love that dress too:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love them! You look fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You take my breath away... Beauty.. Just Beauty

    ReplyDelete