Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Toward Authenticity

Happy New Year!

I do not set New Year’s resolutions as the very act of such resolve seems to fly in the face of human nature.  Declaring to make a change does not make it so, even with good intent.

But, I do set goals. I think of goals as a roadmap for a journey toward a destination. Sometimes, I make it to my desired destination, and other times a side trip leads to a new place.  The new place, whether temporary diversion or destination re-defined, is the place I am meant to be.

My word for 2014 – Integrity:  whole, complete, truthful

And a few goals.

Stay fit with friends. Run the Monument Avenue 10K in Richmond, Virginia. Try paddle boarding at Westmoreland State Park. Ride my bike in the Wild Goose Chase through the scenic Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge of Cambridge, Maryland and through the country roads of Culpeper, Virginia.

Wild Goose Chase

Drink plenty of water. Sleep 7 hours a night. Limit the sugar – I’m too sweet for my own good. Eat more veggies.

Live with the energy, enthusiasm, and empathy. Practice gratitude.

Stop worrying about what everyone else thinks. No more pretending, pleasing, performing, and perfecting.

It’s not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds cold have done them better.

The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes up short again and again . . .
- Theodore Roosevelt 
 Set limits and boundaries.  Say No. Don’t second guess myself.

Sit in silence 10 minutes each day. Pray. Meditate.

solitary bench

Take un-perfect pictures, move towards authenticity. Move away from photography that is overdone, fake, glossy, polished and plastic. Move toward natural, simple, unpretentious, and relatable photographs.  Make pictures where people look real, subject matter looks organic, and colors look natural. Take lots of pictures and have fun.

self-portrait
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.  – Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 comment:

  1. Yesterday I didn't think *once* about resolutions. I made Hoppin' John and worked in the garage, cleaned out, and hung new calendars. I've been making resolutions since I was 10 ("stop biting nails") and failed. It *is* all about goals. And I love that quote by Emerson--Emerson and Thoreau, my guideposts.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.