Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Best in the Fair

The Fredericksburg Agricultural Fair is an enduring summer ritual for my family.

I am not a farm girl.  My romantic notion of farming is far from the real hard work that raising animals requires.   Nonetheless, the livestock competition is my kind of contest.  The plumpest, cutest, and most lively animals are often the winners.

bunnygoats

I am an artist. Cooking, gardening, sewing, quilting, and taking pictures are my crafts.  The Homemaker’s Building is a celebration of all things domestic.  But for the life of me, I do not understand why all those slices of pie and cookies are enclosed in glass display cases without a sample to be found.
 
cookies

I am too chicken to try those snazzy midway games -afraid of making a big old fool of myself.  But, oddly enough, I am more than willing to take a twirl on the amusement rides.  Now that I see the picture, I don't know why I was worried about the games making me look foolish.  Look at this picture!  I was laughing like a hyena!

Fair Ride and Game

Our family tries to eat healthy.  My son, Jacob, has been encouraging us to try a vegetarian lifestyle.  Interestingly, this was not difficult at the fair.  Turns out that neither cotton candy, funnel cakes, nor Kettle corn have any meat!  Does popcorn count as a vegetable?

cotton candy

 Laughter on a warm summer evening, the scent of fried oreos and corn dogs, the glow of neon lights, beauty pageants and talent shows, holding  hands, and tired legs. This is the Best in the Fair.

Best in the Fair collage

1 comment:

  1. I've never had so much fun! Loved those pigs! They had all four feet off the ground like Secretariat, for Cheez Doodles! Your gorgeous photos make our dinky little fair look like the Iowa State Fair. But, dinky or not, we probably wouldn't have laughed so much if we were at Disney World. When I wasn't pretending to be sick on the Scrambler, I was laughing as hard as you!

    ReplyDelete