Sunday, July 15, 2012

Practice Makes Perfect

I am reading a new photography book, Picture Perfect Practice, by a fabulous photographer, Roberto Valenzuela. Unlike so many photography books that are either bogged down in technical jargon or showcases for perfect pictures, this book is a self-training guide. The author outlines exercises to help train my eyes, my heart, and my mind to see art everywhere. Photographers almost universally agree that practice is needed for successful pictures, but they often neglect to add that the practice must deliberate and planned with a goal in mind.  Practice taking mediocre pictures only makes for more mediocre pictures.

We've taken lots of day trips this summer and every one offered the chance to practice.  The pictures in this collage were made at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Gari Melchers Home and Studio at Belmont, a Virginia Rest Stop, Spotsylvania Battlefield, downtown Richmond, my sewing room and my own backyard. The creative potential of photography is everywhere and anywhere and inspiration is endless. 


2 comments:

  1. I'm tempted to get this book, but I'm afraid it's ahead of me. I can see you're going to town with it! While your individual photos are gorgeous as always, I love the way you create storyboards, paying attention to color, in particular. You don't just glance at a Donna Hopkins storyboard, you visit it again and again to find new delights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am back to having fun with photography, and I think it shows. For awhile there, it was beginning to feel like work. You don't need a book to teach you to look at the world as an artist - this comes naturally to you. From your writing style, to the way you decorate your home as an artist's canvas, or the pictures you see that I don't even notice, you live and breathe the life of an artist. I look forward to reading your blog posts like sweet tea on the porch.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.