Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Here's to the Red, White, and Blue

I take my freedom for granted. I sit on my front porch sipping sweet tea, walk along neighborhood streets, read books and stories, travel, eat plenty, and well, mostly do as I please. God bless America!

I am currently reading, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. The story revolves around the island of Guernsey during the German Occupation of World War II, the people who lived there, and how reading books helped them to savor life even while their liberties were so very few and fear and uncertaintly ruled every day.  This elegant tale is told by way of letters from the members of an extraordinary book club and an English writer.  I have always adored lovely, long hand-written letters and so this story drew me in immediately.  I am mid-way through the book, and mostly I  am struck by the reality of how sad life would be without the freedoms I enjoy.  On this hot summer's day, I plan to lounge about and finish this charming novel.

With all my heart I am grateful for the efforts of every soldier and public servant who sacrifices so much for my freedom. Here's to the red, white and blue . . . images of America.

Red, White, Blue Mosaic

No matter the July heat, Independence Day would not be complete without the celebration of a downtown parade.  I couldn't resist snapping a few candid shots of kids and one zippy little chihuahua early this morning (before the heat and humidity turned smiling kids and sweet Mama's into puddles of perspiration and temper tantrums).

fire truck
July 4th family
jump roping girldog
gril on bikeboy in wagon
boy eating cookiegirl on tricycle

Happy Independence Day!

1 comment:

  1. You were braver than me to head downtown in this heat, but it was worth it. GORGEOUS wonderful photos! Those cute kids! All that red! I'm proud to say I own many of those photos in one form or another, like the banner which is grandly displayed on MY blog post (a day late and a sparkler short).

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.