Friday, June 29, 2012

Summer in the City

My camera helps me to live a full and creative life. With my camera there is always more than what is in plain view, always the opportunity to take the ordinary and make it extraordinary.

I was intimidated by our pending trip to New York City.  I worried that  this small town girl who gets lost everywhere would feel overwhelmed by the big city.  We took in the sights on the NY Gray Line double-decker buses, hopping on and off for major attractions.  At first, I aimed my camera at statues and buildings and cityscapes, but little by little, I began to see people, who always have stories to share.  And then my adventure really began.

A little Nora Jones singing of New York in the background, a few of my favorite pictures from the trip, yes, this is my travelogue.  Inspiration comes as always, like visual poetry, sometimes whispering softly, but other times, as in New York, honking loudly. Yes, that is Matt Lauer of NBC's Today Show in my collage.  Our very own celebrity sighting!




 








3 comments:

  1. This is the New York I never see or pay attention to because I'm in such a hurry to leave. But you've made me see there's a small town buried beneath the hordes of people and skyscrapers . . . and individual lives being lived. These shots should be published--get busy, girl, and write a story to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stories are your department, dear writer girl. Words just swirl around in my head and none of them seem to be willing to jump onto the page. I'll keep trying to coax the stories out of hiding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always loved New York City but have a fear complex only because it is unknown territory. The people as a whole there are really great and
    as Candice says, there is small town closeness under the masses. So glad you got a chance to go. And it is easy to eat your way from one end of the town to the other. Great food!

    ReplyDelete