Monday, February 20, 2012

Ode to Domesticity

My son volunteers at our local library every Saturday, and one of my very favorite things is browsing through the books as I wait for him to complete his work.

I recently picked up a gorgeous book, The Gentle Art of Domesticity, by Jane Brocket. The cover photographs were the big draw for me . . . photos of food, and books, and gardens, and quilts, and life at home.

Jane thinks that "all domestic artists should have a little pocket in their aprons where they can keep their favorite poems."
If you have have time to pocket only one, make it Pablo Neruda's Ode to Things in which he praises "every little thing," like buttons, knives, scissors, cups, hats, and thimbles that "bear the trace of someone's fingers."
I just finished sewing this sweet little reversible apron - and it just happens to have a pocket for poetry. 

What a splendid idea!
Donna with homemade apron

No comments:

Post a Comment