Thursday, August 25, 2011

There's No Place Like Home

On a beautiful late summer's day, my sweet husband offered to take me on a ride in the country. I had been wanting to visit the old home place where my grandma lived in King George County, Virginia. While the house has fallen into disrepair, the land, overlooking Rosier Creek is still one of the sweetest spots in my memory. For a photographer, the home place is a treasure - full of potential pictures that speak to our need for connection, belonging, and compassion. There is something about a home overlooking the water that permits us to take a deep breath, relax, and well, just do nothing. We were surprised by a visitor, my uncle Al. He had spent the better part of the day fishing and stopped by his childhood home, too. I love my Uncle Al for lots of reasons, but mostly because he reminds me so much of my Dad who passed on over 14 years ago. I still miss my father and spending time with Uncle Al reminds me just how fortunate I am to have had so much love in my life. Like my Dad, Uncle Al moves along through life in an unhurried pace. He acts as if he has all the time in the world for you. He delights in the simple pleasure of a day spent fishing and a brown bag lunch. While I was busy taking pictures, I looked across the yard to find him lying on his back, looking up at the gorgeous blue sky, soaking up the sun, and cooling off in the breeze.  I can only hope I inherited some of those genes! Here are a few of my favorite pictures of the day . . . home sweet home.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment