Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Yellow Pitcher Plant

I am mostly self-taught in my photography skills, but learning own my own can be a little lonely.  Ready for the companionship of friends who are passionate about photography, I recently began taking a flower photography class at Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens in Richmond, Virginia.  The instructor, famous wildlife and environmental photographer Lynda Richardson, is a creative and insightful teacher.  Her kind spirit and willingness to share her expertise are treasured gifts.  I am enjoying learning about and photographing native Virginia plants.

The yellow pitcher plant, Sarracenia flava, is a carnivorous plant.  In the spring, the plant produces large yellow flowers with 5-fold symmetry.  The different stages of this plant are fascinating - the buds, the flowers, and the pitchers.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.